MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS CONSULTANT
About The SF Market
The SF Market makes things grow – for farmers, distributors, wholesalers, retailers, restaurants,
and communities. Home to 26 merchants in a single vibrant San Francisco marketplace, our
diverse range of produce businesses supplies the widest, best-tasting selection of fresh produce
available in Northern California. The SF Market is a platform for critical access and scale –
providing the food infrastructure, programs and relationships that help hundreds of farmers, Bay
Area food businesses and communities across California thrive.
The SF Market is San Francisco’s original – and only – wholesale produce market. As a pillar of
the Bay Area’s food economy and a non-profit social enterprise, we create jobs for approximately
700 people and foster efficiency, diversity and innovation. The market moves millions of pounds of
fresh produce through the Bay Area, occupies 485,000 sq. ft. of food-focused warehouse and
logistics space in San Francisco’s Bayview Hunter’s Point neighborhood, and is implementing a
Reinvestment Plan to upgrade our facility designed to support new food businesses and an
engaged community. The SF Market’s focus on growth extends to the entire food system – with
high impact programs directed toward food recover, educational tours, local farmer partnerships,
and healthy retail policy.
Reporting to the Fund Development Director, the Marketing & Communications Consultant is
responsible for leading The SF Market`s internal and external marketing and communications
efforts to build its brand and maintain a high-level presence among its key audiences in support of
all fund development, business development and programmatic efforts as the Market transitions
through the economic recovery of COVID-19. Working within the SF Market’s brand messaging
and COVID-19 protocols, and in strong collaboration with leadership and staff, the Consultant will
execute and further the organization’s annual Marketing Plan. Specific functions include social
media, public relations, merchant relations, promotional materials, special events, as well as
serving as the liaison to the Board of Directors Marketing & Communications Committee. This is a
unique opportunity to work with established leaders in the produce industry to make a real
difference in elevating a little known, but major component of the Bay Area and California food
Scope of Work
Marketing & Communications
- Write and produce content across the organization’s internal and external audiences that
promotes mission, vision, infrastructure and program accomplishments and fundraising
needs, e.g. the annual report, newsletters, press releases, scripts, advertisements,
brochures, and case studies.
- Regularly update website, implement changes as needed, and oversee development of
- In collaboration with Market merchant businesses and program staff, expand, organize and
curate a library of photographs to use for marketing and communications efforts.
- Prepare presentations, prep material and collateral for leadership and key stakeholders
(General Manager, Board of Directors and Merchant Board members), including
PowerPoint presentations, speaking points, and all related handouts.
- Lead the design, development, and production of digital and printed materials that support
the Reinvestment Plan.
- Identify and oversee consultants to implement special projects, including PR and respond
to all press inquiries.
- Working with The SF Market staff and Board, participate in positive working relationships
with representatives of community organizations, state/local agencies, The SF Market
management, merchants and staff, and the public.
- Prepare, recommend, and monitor marketing and communications budgets; negotiate
pricing and timelines with advertising, subscriptions, printers, designers and related service
- Support the creation of organizational and departmental reporting to key stakeholders,
including the Board, Committees and funders.
- Implement special projects including Market history development, such as oral histories of
selected market merchants by conducting and editing interviews, pulling together past
materials, and historic photos.
- Create and coordinate talking points and messaging for various online and eventually inperson special events, including nonprofit community events, groundbreakings, ribboncutting ceremonies, and other activities, particularly as they involve The SF Market’s
interactions with the City and/or community partners.
- In collaboration with Market merchant businesses and Market Program team, manage and
build The SF Market’s social media presence in the COVID-19 economic transition. Own
the creation and delivery of social media content, maintaining appropriate voice, tone and
- Analyze and report monthly on results of social media efforts to Marketing Committee.
- Work closely with Program and Fund Development staff to create and implement social
media campaigns that help to achieve awareness goals for The SF Market.
- In collaboration with the Program Manager, implement the Educational Tour strategy.
Develop key talking points, communication materials, and handouts.
- Organize logistics and co-lead tours.
- Organize, create and disseminate invitations, marketing, thank you gifts and other
communication materials for tours and special events.
The Ideal Consultant Will Have
- Demonstrated success in external affairs, social media and business communication.
- Experience in social media management to advance the awareness raising and fund
development goals of the organization.
- Strong writing and editing skills; ability to write clear, structured, articulate and persuasive
proposals, narratives and reports.
- Strong photography, editing and design skills; ability to visually capture and communicate
the work and stories of the Market.
- Experience with innovative capital campaigns and fund development content creation.
- The ability to develop and execute assertive communications plans and budgets.
- An early morning extrovert; must be able to occasionally work within the Market’s
operational business hours (Midnight-9am) to directly engage with business merchants for
- A proactive, results oriented, highly collaborative, hands-on team player attitude.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills that include the ability to work effectively with a variety of
individuals at all levels inside and outside the organization.
- Experience with executive communication and Board Committee facilitation.
- The ability to thrive in a startup environment that requires adjusting to new challenges and
thinking creatively to find cost effective solutions.
- The desire to be an integral part of a small, fast-moving, lean team, with a positive attitude
and sense of humor.
- Exceptional project management skills and attention to details; comfortable coordinating
multiple complex public facing projects and managing shifting priorities.
- A working knowledge of key issues related to wholesale, the produce industry, food
systems, agriculture and/or the nonprofit sector.
- Tech savviness, with proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Google Apps,
Instagram, Twitter, Squarespace and other key communications platforms, including
- A commercial insurance policy, including, but not limited to, General Business Liability.
The SF Market will consider proposals from individual contractors or firms for this opportunity.
Please submit a proposal describing you/your firm’s relevant experience and why you are a fit for
this opportunity to Amy Branner ([email protected]
Get the book