The Sr. Analyst works alongside the Marketing Analytics & Insights team, contributing to data-driven insights that fuel campaign strategies and tactics. The Sr. Analyst assists with data gathering, data quality control, analysis and visualization projects to support the Marketing Analytics & Insights group, which contributes to decisions around audience targeting, messaging strategy and positioning of our films. He/she will work closely with the Analytics team, as well as Data Science and IT professionals in developing new reporting frameworks, managing outside vendors, and overseeing access to and storage of various data sources. A strong foundation of data, digital/social and marketing familiarity and skills (including SQL, Excel) is necessary to contribute immediately to the team.
The primary job responsibilities fall into these categories:
- Social Listening (Buzz Monitoring) – The collection and analysis of social conversation around film content & activity (most notably a trailer). This includes pulling volume, sentiment and conversation topics, granular audience insights, benchmarking against historical titles, and synthesizing into a cohesive story.
- Brand & Audience Insights – The analysis of potential target audiences (consumer behaviors & affinities) and film franchises (fanbase psychographics & conversation), extracting social data to drive early strategic planning.
- Data Wrangling and Quality Control: Assist Analytics and Data Science teams with various data initiatives, including inputting, analyzing, cleaning and structuring new datasets, as well as troubleshooting issues with live data feeds via SQL queries and Excel analysis.
- Data Visualization and Tool Development: Create dashboards and tools to visualize key marketing data to empower Marketing team with strategic insights. Includes gathering requirements and organizing data using tools like Tableau and Excel.
- Ad-hoc Reporting and Data Entry: Assistance with ad hoc reporting projects, ranging from basic correlation exercises to inputting of data for analysis purposes.
He/She is a subject matter expert in these tools and serves as a resource to the entire group on data and research needs. This person will collaborate closely particularly with our Digital & Research teams to enable regular sharing of campaign insights.
He/She supports internal systems for storing marketing data, including creating historical databases, onboarding new data sources, collaborating with Data Science and IT counterparts and maintaining data quality and accuracy.
The expectation for the Sr. Analyst is that he/she will have an intimate knowledge of our Marketing Campaigns, and can synthesize disparate to tell a comprehensive story to the Marketing Team and other senior executives. In a fast-paced environment, strong project management, communication and writing skills are a must.
Most importantly, he/she must love movies and have a passion for evolving the way data and analytics impact marketing decisions.
Preferred years of experience:
- 3-5 years digital/social marketing, research or analytics
- 1-2 years specialty
- 1-2 years entertainment
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Digital Media, Social Media & Marketing Strategies, including an understanding of the unique and quickly changing data-driven marketing landscape
- Knowledge of digital/social media marketing landscape, including familiarity with insights platforms (FB Audience Insights), media speak (key performance metrics, platforms).
- Top Social Listening platforms (Brandwatch, Sysomos, Netbase), Google/YouTube/Search Analytics
- Understanding of basic statistical concepts like correlations, regressions.
- Basic research methodologies (brand tracking, sampling techniques, questionnaire design, study design)
- Familiarity with common practices and trends in the movie marketing space a major plus
- Agency or Studio experience a plus
- Excellent written communication, oral communication, presentation skills
- Data-driven; a “numbers person” who can creatively interpret data and campaign KPIs to solve business problems and communicate insights to executives
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), with strong understanding of Excel (formulas, macros, pivot tables)
- Intermediate abilities with visualization tools like Tableau, PowerBI.
- Must have an open communication style which considers managing expectations with multiple stakeholders.
- Familiarity with data storage technologies and software a plus
- Manage multiple projects, set priorities, and meet deadlines
- Strategic critical thinker who also has a high attention to detail
- Analyze and apply data to tell a story and drive business results
- Work collaboratively in a team environment
- Excellent organizational skills
- Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
- As part of our commitment to health and safety, all U.S. non-union and O.P.E.I.U. Local 174 applicants and employees must submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or request and obtain approval of a reasonable accommodation based on disability or a sincerely held religious belief, practice or observance. To request an accommodation for purposes of participating in the hiring process, you may contact us at [email protected]